The Travelin' Croakers

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Greenville/Charleston/Folly Beach, SC


This story starts last November, when Half Off Depot offered a Nascar Driving Experience for (about) half-off the regular $350.00 price. It included actual driving a real Nascar Stockcar racecar for 30 laps and a souvineer Fire suit.
I knew Ryan would love to do this, so bought the Experience for him as a Christmas gift.

When we went to NC, John and Ryan got to ride in a Nascar for some laps, but this one Ryan will actually  be driving.
It's also a Competition and the winner(s) can win/earn a Season racing in actual Nascar events.  We're not looking that far ahead (I suspect he may *win* the next few races since you have to pay $350 entry fees each time, until the end. Then you probably lose.)  Anyway, whether he *wins* or we decide to do it some more or not, the 30 laps and included Fire suit seemed worth the $159.00 I paid.

Sometime in there, Ryan mentioned he wanted to go to Florida to see the last Space Shuttle take off.
So, working with that, and everyone's schedules, I reserved a date for the Nascar driving thing, and told John what days to put in for vacay at work.
The plan was to drive to (where ever the event was originally being held, I can't remember now), spend the night there, do the Driving Experience the next day, then either spend another night, or head on to my sister's house in Florida.

Then, three things happened (I'm not sure in which order, don't guess it matters): (1) they changed the Track the event was being held at and the new Track was North of us, rather than South. (2) John couldn't get two of the dates he'd put in for off work, one of them being the day of this driving experience. (3) They pushed the date of the Space Shuttle launch a week later, after when Ryan will already be back in school.

I checked the website for a different date for the Driving Experience, but couldn't find any other compatible dates. But before I just cancelled it outright, I decided to check the other Tracks.
Turned out the Greenville/Pickens, SC Track had the date we needed, and when I Mapquested, found out it's only about a 3.5 hour drive from here.

As I was checking out the Map, I noticed a road leading almost straight from Greenville (Easly) to Charleston. And it was only about another 3.5 hour drive.  Charleston is one of the places we've never been, but have said we might like to visit, maybe, one day.

Well, I guess that day is upon us.
Sometimes you go where you're led, I guess.

The nice thing (for a couple of us anyway) is that Charleston is on/near the Coast...which means Beach.
I had no idea what Beaches were in the area, and did a bit of research, but everything kept leading right back to Folly Beach. There are other beaches, but for some reason, even when I tried to check them out, I'd end right back up at Folly.

Apparently there's only one hotel there, The Tides, and all rooms are Oceanfront, which is a pretty major requirement for me; there was vacancy, and the price was right. So I booked.


No comments:

Post a Comment